Thank you to Wendy Coneybeer for this submission.
On the evening of Thursday February 3rd, Gangplank had the honor of hosting one of the stops along the Intel AppUp Application Lab: MeeGo series world tour. The purpose of this event was to introduce the AppUp Center and Developer Program, and to educate the Phoenix-area developer community on the tools they can use to create applications for the company’s upcoming mobile phone and tablet PC operating system, aptly named MeeGo.
Before the event, the main room was transformed from collaborative workspace to auditorium, trading the numerous tables and office chairs for two sets of large projectors and screens hanging from the rafters, and rows of white chairs to accommodate the 140+ attendees. San Tan Brewing Company also came in to cater the event, providing plenty of good eats and keeping our complimentary Intel beer mugs full.
Some of the key takeaways from Intel’s presentation:
- AppUp a marketplace for applications to run on mobile devices that use Intel Atom or ARM processors
- Apps can be developed in C+, Java, .NET, or Adobe Air
- MeeGo is Intel’s new open source, Linux-based mobile operating system
- Applications submitted to AppUp will be available to MeeGo users
- Smartphones and tablet versions of MeeGo will have different user interfaces, but will use same API
- MeeGo is on a 6 month development cycle, with the next release due in April
I had a chance to talk with Intel AppUp program representatives Rhonda Peters and Kelly Woods after the presentation. “We’re excited about the opportunity to bring education to the developers,” said Peters.
“We want to bring a sense of community with our events and give the developers the tools they need,” Woods added. “They control their own destiny and set their own prices with the AppUp store.”
At the end of the event, each attendee was presented with a Lenovo Ideapad S10-3T convertible netbook/tablet PC with MeeGo 1.1 installed, so they could experience the new mobile operating system for themselves, and get started developing right away.
Other AppUp MeeGo series events have been held in Dublin, Ireland and Paris, France, with the next stop in Barcelona, Spain on February 16th.
For more information on the Intel AppUp program and the MeeGo mobile operating system, check out AppDeveloper.Intel.com.