Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014

facebook Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014twitter Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014linkedin Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014google Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014buffer Community Meeting Notes, August 6, 2014

A majority of the discussion this week was related to the follow-up from the previous week’s meeting. A few Gangplankers met earlier this week with Derek N and Trish G. to discuss our questions and get some answers. Jeremy S. took notes and he reviewed them today. Derek N. was also on-hand to clarify.

Continuation of Discussion re: Can We Help 260?

Following our meeting with Derek and Trish this week, Phil S. will step into the role of community liaison and coordinator for the 260 construction project. His goal is to better the communication between the construction crews and GP to keep us informed and updated. He will also communicate any needs and ways we can help, which happened on Tuesday when a crew of volunteers helped salvage antique wood for furniture and decorative projects after the project is completed.

Phil will also be writing blog posts and posting pictures. This will help with the communication efforts but also help build some buzz! Derek N. warned us that the goal of the project is a certificate of occupancy and that many side projects will be left undone which we will fundraise for after we take control of the building. With a wider community buzz around the construction, our fundraising efforts will have greater support!

Continuation of Discussion re: Can We Help with our City Relationship?

Our current contract with the City of Chandler will remain active through June 2015. After that, a new contract is under consideration. Derek’s goal with the city with the new contract was to limit the metric-driven rules (eg: must have x number of y per year) and replace it with deliverable items (eg: a redesigned economic development website for Chandler). This new contract is in the works and our old one is generally considered satisfied. That said, between now and receiving the new contract, there are specific things we can do to help strengthen our presence in the city:

  • Document, document, document! We need to share (with the world) what we do! The city does follow our activities and relies on things like blog posts, tweets, and event notifications to see what is going on. Jeremy S. is setting up individuals with “contributor” author accounts on our wordpress site to welcome in more content creators. Bug Jeremy if you’d like to help.
  • GP Jr needs love. Junior Initiative has suffered from lack of support yet our current contract stipulates 10 events per year. Technically the Bonanza-sponsored free LEGO Robotics club (which has met all summer) qualifies, but we really can use more fun. Eileen K. reminded us the Brain Fair this month will also qualify. Josh S recommitted to coordinating events for GP Jr but needs help. Conversation will continue offline.
  • Support Epic-fest. Epic fest is a collaboration between the city, TechShop Chandler, Intel, DCCP, and Gangplank to bring a maker-festival to Chandler. We will need to be whole-heartedly behind it to ensure success.
  • More community liaison’s to outside groups are needed. Specifically, we need individuals to be regular representatives… merely having a GP rep a meeting is not helpful. At one time, nearly every Chandler citizen’s board had a rep from GP. Derek doesn’t feel we need to go that far, but they recommend:
    • Liaison to ASU –Jeremy S considering
    • Attendance at relevant Council Meetings
    • Arizona Business Incubator Association (Monthly call, Quarterly in-person)
    • For Our Cities, Councilmember Hartke’s project –Anne B considering
    • City of Chandler Economic Development Board
  • Nerf WW3 Heating Up

    We briefly (in-between shots fired) discussed the fun and craziness of our recent Nerf-wars. We thought it right to discuss the three rules of engagement:

    1. No modifying of darts. (Modifying guns okay).
    2. Pick up darts after the fun. Why? Darts run over by chairs are ruined, and those buggers cost money.
    3. Be respectful if someone needs to work. Even if they play most of the time, be cool if they want out of it for a while

    Otherwise, we are having fun and should make sure it stays fun. Carry on!

    Tonight is Hacknight BBQ

    The BBQ on Hacknight continues this week. Jeremy S. and Brian S. (Bonanza Educational) will be sponsoring tonight. FYI: its about $40-$50 to sponsor a BBQ with hamburgers, hotdogs, buns, and chips. If you can sponsor one or a few, that’d be awesome! Phil S. and David M. lead the hacknight and can tell you when you can sponsor.

    ImprovMania Moving in Next Door

    A group of regular Gangplankers are growing their business and moving in next door. ImprovMania will be moving into the suite 3 of 250 building, or the front-half of the old magic space. Including HiringSolved and the photographer, three of the four other tenants of the 250 building were first Gangplank-affiliated businesses.

    Janitorial FYI

    FYI: if paper towels or toilet paper run out, be a good Gangplanker and go get a roll or two of paper towels or toilet paper down the road. Ultimately, its the responsibility of the property managers to keep the shared-hallway and bathrooms cleaned and stocked up. They visit on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sat/Sun to clean and restock.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Upcoming Events

No Events