Community Meeting Notes, July 2, 2014

Discussion on Frequency, Schedule of Meetings

Community meetings have recently been sparse, but when we have them, they’ve been long and, at times, heated. We discussed improving the format.

Jeremy S. proposed moving to a monthly schedule. Derek N. wasn’t a fan, mainly because he saw value in attempting to meet, even if there wasn’t much to discuss. Troy B. argued that a full hour is difficult to commit to.

The community present settled on a: making a commitment to attempt to meet weekly, even if there wasn’t anything on an agenda. The goal is to constantly be dangerous, and thus, have things to talk about. Also b: holding meetings to 30 minutes. We should push longer topics to side conversations for interested parties. Also, if a conversation needs to continue and you need to go, feel free to. Also c: creating a shared calendar item that pop-ups a reminder for meeting.

Recap Desk Move

Discussion was held on various topics around the desk move. Desk and area tidiness led to a discussion about the frequency of events. If more events occur, the more it “hurts” to move out when you have lots of stuff. The re-labeled desks should be like a paint-by-numbers for event hosts.

Overall, we need a much more clear set of expectations for users of our space. If an event uses the space, they are 100% responsible for moving desks, chairs, etc, and setting back up. If peoples’ belongings get orphaned in the process, it is not the event host’s fault. (see above) All events should be tied to a sponsoring keyholder/babysitter. Keyholder is jointly responsible (with facilities team) to communicate expectations and ensure compliance. Jeremy S. and Chris L. will work on this.

Kameron W. will photograph rooms to use as guides for re-set after use.

Window Painting

The community agreed that we learned a lesson from the painted window for promotion of events. Aside from question about the city’s policy on such activity in the DC, overall we felt it didn’t fit our desired image. Discussion continued about a failure to communicate that image and how we can improve, but ended without resolution.

Community Meeting Notes, July 23, 2014

Note: We did not hold a July 21st meeting.

Red Bull Wings Team Visit, Monday, July 28th, 2014

Whether its Mountain Dew, Monster, or Red Bull, Gangplankers are no strangers to sugary, caffeinated drinks, regardless of what the GP Chandler Health Initiative will say.

Our relationship with Red Bull goes even deeper though, as they regularly send the “Red Bull Wings Team” to share free samples at various events of ours, including last weekend’s Startup Weekend Chandler. This week, a regional marketing director asked a special favor of us. They are filming a new training video for the “Wings Team” and need an office/work environment to use. Because they love the layout and atmosphere of Gangplank, they’d like to fill that need at our space.

The community discussed whether this was okay. We agreed yes, given the condition that everyone be provided with adequate warning and an option to not participate. It was also asked that they turn on the cameras only after they’ve announced their arrival.

The “Wings Team” and video crew will be at GP Chandler around 11am to 1pm on Monday, July 28th. You’ve been notified!

Downloading on Startup Weekend Chandler

The Startup Weekend Chandler organizing team wishes to thank all who helped out and/or participated in last weekend’s Startup Weekend Chandler event.

Our winning team was Rival Ripper, which included GP Chandler regulars Michael and Hans M., and runner up was Shark Bite Boards, featuring the work of our own Jenna C. Congrats and good luck everyone!

Trish G. announces departure from role as Executive Director

Trish G. has been playing the role of Executive Director of the global Gangplank organization for nearly two years. She announced that she will be leaving her role effective 8/8. She thanked us for our support and encouraged us to keep up the good work. She said that she still will be around to a varying degree, depending a lot on what her next career move entails. THANK YOU TRISH!

260 Update/#90days #blameJade

Construction on 260 has slowed to a near-halt the last few months and Trish G. provided us an update.

“The delays are caused by needing to re-think a few design issues. Older buildings come with hidden surprises, and ours is no exception. That said, work was active this week and should pick back up again soon.”

Awesome!

Upcoming City of Chandler Contract Renewal

The GP Chandler team is preparing to submit paperwork to the city to renew our city contract that provides a majority of the funding from the city for Gangplank Chandler. Keep your ears open for ways you can personally support this. The council is expected to vote on this topic later this year.

Discussion on the Future of the Brownbag

Jeremy S. announced his commitment to restoring quality to the Brownbag programming.

Jeremy S. assembled a team of supporters for Brownbags that will keep them running smoothly from here forward. He wishes to point out the following people for their support: Jeremy S. (Scheduling, Lead), Catherine L (Speaker Support), Ita U. (Video Recording, Emcee), Jody H (Promotions, Video Recording & Emcee Backup), and Hans M (Post Brownbag Blogging).

Because Brownbags are important to the current city contract, he explained how he made a strong effort to schedule out Brownbags for the remainder of the year. He explained that this is merely a patch, however, because recent lackluster support for Brownbags are a consequence of many in the community seeing them as having lost value.

Trish G. and Jeremy S. explained that a new vision for the Brownbag is being discussed for implementation in the new year. They will seek further feedback from interested persons and finalize the details later. That said, they previewed the concept:

In the beginning, Brownbags were an opportunity to teach and learn. In a lot of cases, the teacher was merely sharing a recently acquired knowledge of their own. It was a weekly personal and professional development hour for Integrum and Forty. Since then, the Brownbag grew from a small, in-house training event to a speaker’s event that moved more toward an inspirational storytelling and/or pitch platform. We are not Tedx or Ignite, but in a way, we act like one. This means the training and learning value has been replaced with an entertainment value at times, and therefore lacks much value to the average Gangplanker. Our vision is to return to the concept of learning and teaching knowledge to the peer-to-peer inside. We want to introduce the concept of Learning Loops, and we’d like to challenge the community to bring the Brownbag back to an event of the community where outsiders are welcome versus an event where we bring outsiders in that don’t resonate as well with the community.

As this idea is further developed, more details will be shared. If this reboot plan goes forward, it will take effect in early 2015.

Next Week’s Brownbag: Kieran Thompson on Kickstarting a Local Film

All that said, the Wednesday, July 30th, Brownbag will be Kieran Thompson speaking on the experience of Kickstarting the Production of a Local Film. His description:

In March 2012, a group of local Arizona filmmakers used Kickstarter to fund the production of our first feature film. “Broken Leg”, raised over $24,000 from over 200 backers. I’ll share what we learned while planning and executing a successful campaign and discuss how we’ve engaged our backers throughout the entire life of the project. “Broken Leg” will be released on DVD, Blu-ray,m and online August 1st.

Please share this with friends and colleagues! It promises to have some deep insight into running a Kickstarted campaign, as well as some entertaining stories from an up-and-coming Arizona industry.

1st Annual AZChaserCon Recap

Last week, I had the pleasure of welcoming Christian Cleary (@monsoon_madness) and the Arizona Storm Chaser community to Gangplank to host the first (and hopefully annual) Arizona Storm Chaser Convention, or AZChaserCon.

Storm chasers play a key role in assisting intergovernmental organizations in understanding local weather events while they also help the local and national news report many of the fascinating Arizona weather events with their photos, videos, and stories. Arizona has some uniquely beautiful and fascinating weather events that are only known to the world by the work of these dedicated citizen scientists and their thrilling antics in the southwest deserts.

Christian Cleary, known best by his twitter handle @monsoon_madness, knows the power of community and collaboration in the tight-knit circle that makes up local storm chasers, government meteorologists, and news media. He was inspired to bring everyone together and found Gangplank to be the perfect host.

During the day-long event, held Saturday June 14th, Christian welcomed the likes of 3TV’s Royal Norman, 12 News’s Dr Matt Price, and National Weather Service’s Dr Ken Waters, as well as many members of chaser and citizen science community. They came together to collaborate, socialize, learn, and share the crazy antics of their hobby as they ready for another Arizona Monsoon season. There was community socializing, occasional jokes about haboobs, nerdy weather talk, and tons of great pictures of local storms.

I asked Chris to share more about his event and he wrote this for us:

Gangplank is the definition of community. When you walk through the door, the environment is uplifting, full with positive vibes and great people. And if you’re tech savvy, trust me, this is the place to be.

I live in Chandler and have a huge passion for weather. I storm chase the monsoon storms as well as tornadoes on the Great Plains. Recently, I decided to host a conference specifically for chasing the AZ monsoon that would bring weather enthusiasts, weather professionals, scientists, spotters, and storm chasers together to network, share experience, and inspire one another. A friend suggested I look into Gangplank as a possible venue.

I scheduled a time to meet with Chris L, who gave me a tour and invited me to host my event there. He also introduced me to Eileen K and the two of them helped guide me and set this conference up. On the day of the event, Jeremy S volunteered his time to host us and helped me with technical issues.

On June 14th, I hosted the first ever Arizona Chaser Conference at Gangplank, Chandler. The event exceeded all of my expectations. All of the people who attended the conference had nothing but great things to say. They enjoyed the facilities and the conference. Huge shout out to Chris, Eileen, Jeremy, and the whole Gangplank Community for making this possible. I can’t wait to host AZChaserCon next year at this amazing place. I hope that I can give back to the Gangplank community what they have given me. Without their support and sponsorship I would not have been able to host this event.

Well, Chris, let me give you and your people some praise too: you guys were a great group and gracious considerate guests. We loved having you join our community and share yours with us. We look forward to AZChaserCon ’15!

For more info check these out:

Community Meeting Notes, June 25, 2014

Saturday Goblinz Party:

The special event on Saturday 6/28, the Goblinz Costume Party, is an alternative art demonstration including costuming, art displays, and maker projects. Event is open to the public. Setup begins at 4PM and event is 7PM – 10PM.

Desk Move Out/Space Rearrange:

Associated with the event Saturday is a main space move out. Specifically, we will move all desks but leave the lounge and maker desks. We will begin this move-out at 4PM on Friday 6/27. If you need to move earlier, you may, but no earlier than 12 noon. We ask for as much participation/volunteer help from the community possible, and after cleared out, we will do some cleaning and could use the help there too!

The Goblinz party volunteers will reset the hot desks, including power, and monitors. Resident desks will be done by 9AM Monday 6/30, although some people will gather at 1PM on Sunday 6/29 to partially put back some of the space.

We are coordinating our semi-annual desk rearrange with this move out. Jill R (BespokeSS) will begin distributing the layout maps later this week built the new desk plan.

DeskMoveJun2014 1024x767 Community Meeting Notes, June 25, 2014

If you cannot be here for move out/move back, please clear off your desk prior to move out.  In this case, your goal is to leave an empty desk so that volunteers don’t need to worry about your property getting lost/broken.

Please be mindful of orphaned property following the desk move out. All project spaces should be cleaned and reset by the 9AM Monday start of day.

Notes on Space Cleanliness:

The community discussed the overall cleanliness of the space, specifically as it relates to keeping it presentable. There are concerns that individuals and companies approach the organization and cleanliness of their space with different standards, some with no standard at all. This leaves our Gangplank looking dingy, disoraganizaed, and unpresentable. It also raises concerns for those who bring clients here for meetings. Finally, with the recent carelessness of guests using project spaces and hot-desks and leaving them a mess, we theorized that by not holding ourselves to a higher standard, we are allowing a ‘broken window‘ affect to impact the rest of the space.

We want Gangplank to be a place that is welcoming to everyone. We agreed to holding ourselves and each other accountable to keeping our desks cleaner. We also committed to individually taking greater ownership of common areas. Boldness over Assurance & Friendship over Formality applies: if you feel your neighbor isn’t living up to this standard, you need to let them know!

As part of the desk move this weekend, please do the following:

  • Clean up your area, specifically anything stored under your desk or in the isles. As a general rule, if you don’t find yourself using it at least once per week, it should go home. We encourage all to take home, donate, or throw out as much as possible.
  • Things you determine you need should be stored under your desks in a rolling credenza. Ikea Galant credenzas and file cabinets are common and match the desks and are very affordable at $169 – $199.
  • Any broken/damaged chairs should be tossed out Friday afternoon.
  • Decorative items on your desk are discouraged.
  • Your desk should be clear enough when you are done each day such that someone else could use it as a hot desk when you are not in.

Janitorial:

Greg T (Marketing Press) asked about janitorial and funding. Chris L (CSI), who coordinates it, will re-send the email outlining what the janitor does as well as remind those who have not yet contributed to the fund how they can.

Supplies Needed:

There was a call-out for community members to please purchase and donate some useable materials. Talk to Jeremy S (Bonanza) for specs if you’re able to contribute. We need:

  • Light Bulbs
  • Plastic Forks
  • Plastic Knifes
  • Clorox Bleach Wipes
  • Pledge Wipes

Also, Jeremy S needs help sourcing alternate Mountain Dew flavors for the soda machines. Specifically Code Red, Voltage, and Baja Blast. Basically, most of the grocery store sales (4 for $11, 4 for $10) require a minimum purchase. If they are under $3.33 for a 12-pack, Jeremy will reimburse you cost if you can pick them up for us.

Startup Weekend:

Startup Weekend is coming! We still need everyone to personally promote it your entreprenuer friends. If you can follow @swchandler and RT promo posts, that will also help. We have room for a few more sponsors for meals and transportation costs for our facilitor. Write Trish G for more info.

Community Meetings & Huddles:

Earlier this year we came to the realization that meeting weekly was unnecessary. We stopped meeting every week, but now we meet too little. Jeremy S proposed that we meet formally once per month but encourage a concept of “calling a huddle” whenever someone wishes to drive action or seek support.

Basic idea behind a huddle: approaching the microphone and announcing that any available person gather for a huddle meeting. A huddle should be limited to a single topic and last no more than five minutes. Huddle topics should be biased toward action.

We discussed giving this approach, a less obtrusive and less formal solution, a try. We will see what happens.

Social Activities to Build Community

Greg T introduced discussion to encourage more social activities at GP. This was driven by smaller group conversations recently. He explained that the community was stronger when we were more social, but recent busyness has kept some of us head-down more than not. While socializing shouldn’t require specific planning, it will help if a few people plan some engaging social event.

Greg will be organizing a new regular “show and tell happy hour” similar to an activity he saw at New Work City in New York, NY.

After a Eileen K discussed how 4th Friday GP breakfasts at Yoli’s has slowly been loosing attendance, Trish G pointed out that variety is important. Jeremy S reminded the group that personal invitations work best and that merely throwing FB & meet-up invites out there won’t work, whether its 4th Friday breakfast or show and tell.

Chandler Community Meeting Notes 3/12

NOTE: We haven’t regularly held meetings since the new year due to a lack of need. Meetings can be called at the regular time by anyone, however, and we encourage people who need the community’s engagement to request meetings as needed.  Today’s meeting was held to inform the community of a few notable happenings in recent weeks.

Meeting Started at 4:02PM

Startup Weekend Chandler, hosted by Gangplank, announced for July 2014

Eileen K (LilliMedia) proudly announced that she is aiding Troy B (Athlinks), as coordinator, in planning and promoting our next Startup Weekend.  By popular demand, the weekend moves back to the summer months and will be held July 18th – 20th, 2014.  Expect Troy to begin asking individuals and companies for support in the coming days.

Maker Faire coming to Chandler by DCCP, Gangplank, Tech Shop, and ASU

Jenn L (DCCP) announced that the Downtown Chandler Community Partnership received support to host an official, branded Maker Faire.  They are looking to either piggyback the event on an October 2014 event or host it the weekend of Jan 15th, 2015 as a one-year anniversary of Tech Shop and the Mayor’s declaration of January 15th as “Maker Day” in Chandler.  They will be seeking support and sponsors and will keep us updated.

New Brownbag Coordinator Kristin of Jacob’s Well, Needs Support

First off, thanks again to Hiring Solved’s Jenny who carefully stewarded Brownbags for the latter half of 2013.  And huge thanks to our newest Brownbag coordinator, Kristin L of Jacob’s Well. Our schedule, due in part to some uncertainty during the passing of the baton, has us with only about 1 month of brownbags scheduled.  Like always, the community needs to look through their contacts to help her with some speaker ideas.

Pizza on Hacknights Back thanks to Hiring Solved

Hiring Solved is graciously sponsoring Hack Night pizza again!  Next time to you see Shon B or Trevor O of Hiring Solved, you should give them a high-five or a hug.  They officially sponsor pizza but will need help picking it up.  Hans M (LilliMedia) volunteered to assist with pickup.  Trish G (Gangplank) suggested all of us to keep an eye out for pizza delivery by 6PM if you’re here, and if its not here, go look for Trevor!

Discussion on Vending Machines

Bonanza Educational continues to support the vending machines, both by financially backing them when the fund runs low and also keeping them stocked.  They’ve been ordering and stocking them for two years this month and managing the finances for one year last month.

Jeremy S (Bonanza Ed) reports that sales average around $300 / month, up dramatically from $125/month before the Red Bull Machine was restocked in August and a “Vending” vinyl sign was made and posted by Kristi (DCCP).  The machines require a 6-8 week purchase cycle.

We (Gangplank) own the Coke machine and are lent the Red Bull Machine by Red Bull USA.  Repairs on the Coke machine are on us, and the recent issues with Coke being vended in place of people’s actual selection was just fixed.  Give Greg T (MarketingPress) a high-five or hug for donating $115 to cover the costs of the repair.

V8 VFusion juice drinks will be back in stock shortly, Jeremy is just waiting for the Hanson’s Naturals slot to empty.  Then, Hanson’s Naturals will be left out of stock until the San Pellegrino Blood Orange runs out.  The San Pellegrino drinks were a special purchase made possible by a Costco Rebate and we simply cannot afford them after the current supply, purchased on the discount, runs out.

Some members of the community asked for a few changes to the selection and Jeremy explained that it has taken over two years of refining the selection to get us to the current assortment.  Many of the drinks are enjoyed by many, where, in the past, some options took up an entire slot just for a few fans of that option.  While he is is confident in the current selection, ideas may be brought to Jeremy offline.

Brian S (Bonanza Ed) asks the community permission to install a table-top snack vending machine and stock it with a 50%/50% supply of healthy and yummy snacks.  He said that Bonanza will support these similarly to the soft drinks. Ideas for things to include Kashi bars, apple chips, various candy, nuts, and chips.  The community welcomed it with a verbal vote.

Jeremy keeps a small amount of change at GP for people who want to turn a $10 or $5 into $1′s to use in the vending machines.  If he is at his desk, he welcomes anyone to stop by and get change if they need it.

Call for Members that Need Keys, Alarm Code Changes

Jeremy (Bonanza Ed) requested that members needing alarm codes, alarm code changes, or new keys please reach out to him this week offline.

“Magic Space” Not Magic Anymore

Jeremy (Bonanza Ed) updated the community on the status of 250′s Suite 3 & 5, our neighbors, or what we lovingly called the Magic Space.  The lease holder of the space was officially evicted last week and the property’s receiver is confident the new space will be leased to a new entity in the near future.  Potential new tenants are touring the space.  If you see them, make them feel welcome!

All Gangplank property was successfully removed from Magic Space to our knowledge, but let us know if you think we forgot something.  Chris L (CSI) updated us on events scheduled for the former Magic Space are now in the GP Main Space until 260 opens, notably:

  • Jacob’s Well Church now meets regularly on Sunday mornings.  You’re welcome to be in the space when they’re here, especially if you wish to join their worship.
  • Desert Code Camp speaker’s dinner and after party will be here Friday, April 4th and Saturday, April 5th in the evening.  They will be responsible for moving furniture out and back, but its recommended you clean up your desks.
  • Southeast Valley .NET User’s Group will now be in here every 4th Thursday starting 3/27.  Over the years, their group grew to 50+.  They are responsible for moving chairs and furniture.   If you’re here expect it to be busy.

260 Construction Update

Trish G (Gangplank HQ) updated everyone on the status of the 260 construction.  Project is over budget and we will need to assist in a few fundraisers.  The second floor is going up this week and next so watch out for some major changes to happen fast!  The construction crews sees a completion by late April to early May.  Yes… less than 90 days!

GP Jr.

Josh S (Bonanza Ed) discussed his desire to lead a renewed effort into Gangplank Jr.  Chris S also said he wants to get things going too.  A last minute idea of a table-top gaming event, in honor of the annual table-top gaming day, to be held on April 5, was suggested.  Discussion will move offline.

Gangplank Booth at Mesa Maker Faire

Eileen K (LilliMedia) and Trish G (Gangplank HQ) discussed our last-minute involvement in the Mesa Maker Faire in Downtown Mesa next week.  They acknowledged that it is an awkward weekend but that they need help in the form a one-three people to staff the booth and share GP and its maker programs.  They do need help, so please help if you can!  The event is auxiliary to the spark! Festival in Mesa, where Bonanza Ed will be running a big booth, so feel free to stop by there too.

General Announcements

  • St Patrick’s Day at Murphy’s Law 3/17.  If you want to go check in with DCCP.
  • Beer and BBQ Festival 3/21. DCCP also has tickets.  Performances by Blues Traveller.
  • Chandler Jazz Festival 4/4 & 4/5.  DCCP has tickets.

Meeting Ended at 4:35PM

Chandler Community Meeting Notes 12/11

Community Meeting Notes 12/11/2013
By: Jeremy S.

START 4:11

NOTE: There were no meetings on 11/27 or 12/4.

Discussion on Email Discussion Groups: There is a general concern with some of the content recently discussed on the email group “chandler-community”.  It put us in a bad light, both in general, when certain people post things that can damage our outward facing community.  We affirmed that we purposely created an open discussion group for transparency and it shouldn’t represent us widely or individually when someone says something dumb, but we admit it can still happen.  That said, we unanimously agreed to remove the topic in question from our public archive, despite being anti-censorship and aiming for transparency.

We feel there are better ways to engage newer members of our community and feel the discussion group should be tailored for people very active.  We should introduce new people to “less-intense” options.  We know for a small period of time new people were welcomed to the group.

We recommend temporarily suspending the group until a solution could be found.

Dessert Potluck Next Week: Next week is the holiday dessert potluck, in lieu of the brownbag.

Brownbags Update: Jenny from Hiring Solved reports that we are scheduled until 3/5 on Brown Bags.  We have had some great Brown Bags this fall and hope to keep up the good work.

END: 4:35PM

 

Chandler Community Meeting Notes 11/20

Chandler Community Meeting Notes 11/20/2013
By: Jeremy S.

START 4:08PM

  • General Thoughts on Goal of Meeting.  We like the open general update and communication aspect (of old format, pre-Initiatives check in).  We also liked the “lets focus and have a goal for meetings.”  We didn’t like the “lets turn some meetings into a project meeting”.  So we stated a goal that our meetings should allow for open general discussion but also allow for us to plan out some specific long-reaching discussions too.
  • Thanksgiving Potluck next Wednesday: Please promote!  People are paramount!  We need a main course dish.  Idea offered to pitch in for a turkey or ham?  Troy B. will coordinate a ham or turkey.  We discussed a problem with food-related events not being cleaned up.  So, for this Potluck, start time is at 12PM, end time is at 2PM.  At that time, everyone will help get cleaned up.
  • Startup Weekend was awesome.  Thanks to everyone for helping out, sponsoring, and being there.  Ben was a great host.  Ben thanks us all.
  • Kids & Gangplank: Last week, a person brought disruptive kids to the Thursday WordPress Meetup Group.  We wanted to remind each other of our stance on Kids at Gangplank.  Kids are welcome here as long they are learning and not disruptive.  This place is first a place for adults to learn and develop business and community.  EXCEPT for Gangplank Jr, when kids are welcome implicitly.  Parents who bring their kids outside of GPJR events are expected to monitor their children and ensure they are not disruptive… if the parents are unable to do so or are not, we fall back to Manifesto item “Friendship over Formality” and personally give the parent feedback and ask them to fix the problem or leave and come back without their children.  We agree we are not helping a situation if we simple complain about it afterwards.
  • Trash Schedule: If your desk moved, so did your trash day.  Refer to map on wall by key rack.  There is a question about when you should do it?  We discussed that this is ideally afternoon time (2PM to 4PM), but whenever it is ideal for your company/pod is okay.  IE: Bonanza Ed is usually off-site in the field during the afternoon… they are okay doing it around lunch since that is when they get here.
  • 2 Things that will make Gangplank Better… go!  More Toys. More People. More participation.  More Money. More Accessibility.  More Education.  More Food.  More Silliness… and more (I couldn’t keep up with the suggestions).

END 4:35 PM

Chandler Community Meeting Notes: October 16, 2013

As part of our growing efforts to share our activities publicly, here are meeting notes from our weekly community meeting in Chandler.  (Transcribed by Jeremy S.)

START: 4:04PM OCT 16, 2013
FOCUS TOPIC: Downtown Chandler Rock the Block

Rock the Block

The large DCCP-sponsored event Chandler Rock the Block is upcoming on November 9th, 2013, 10 AM to 4 PM. It is a 15,000 person event that is held literally outside our doors up and down Chandler Blvd.

Last year, Gangplank had an open-house for the second year of the event. Kameron W. had a photo booth, Ed A. provided demonstrations of the 3d printing, and many Gangplank tours.

Lets brainstorm what we can do this year and put it together.

Ideas:

  • Stickers for Free –Greg T./Chuck R.
  • Handouts/Brochure/Bulletin –ALL
  • One table/event sponsored by each Initiative time
  • Blinky bugs/throw men/etc gadgets –Academy/Local Derek N./Trish G.
  • 3d printing demonstration –Labs David M.
  • Photo booth (Studios) –Kameron W.+ Lilimedia
  • LEGO table (Junior)–Jeremy S./Jeremie L.+
  • Facilities to host refreshments, incl maybe Chips and Salsa? –Jeremy S.
  • Business Init –promote Startup Weekend! –Shon B+
  • Jeremy S. will make a directory of what’s going on that day, let me know. jeremys@gangplankhq.com
  • Move DCCP HQ to Magic if available!

Weekly Newsletter

Feedback has been given that suggests that the Gangplank Chandler Newsletter should be published on another date. Jonathan K. of VUURR/Levers (live from SF, CA!) shared some feedback that metrics suggest that Friday PM is a poor time to send out. Brian L. is frustrated as it is difficult to get content for a newsletter timely. Discussion on both. New deadline for content submission is Wednesday after Community Meeting. Send time will move to Thursday at 10 AM, with opportunity for change based on metrics.

Lounge Happy Hour

Jeremy introduced happy hour on Mondays days before he got assigned weekly field work every Monday. He asks more people to get behind it. Derek suggests that we “sponsor”, not necessarily financially, a night by inviting people and friends to their day.

Excuse our Dust

Painting in back rooms is underway. Don will be helping us, let him do his thing! Keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities to help us move furniture when needed. Also, be flexible with room schedule, etc. We will be done by Nov 1.

260 Construction

260 Construction may begin Monday! We need to finish clear out of 260… like the couches! Please keep your eyes and ears open to help with 260-related stuff too!

Next Week Topic: SciTech Festival

Chandler Community Meeting Notes: October 2, 2013

As part of our growing efforts to share our activities publicly, here are meeting notes from our weekly community meeting in Chandler.  (Transcribed by Jeremy S.)

CORE Protocols Review

Trish G. introduces that the Core Protocols to us as a means to build a stronger rapport and usefulness of meeting.

Academy Initiative Brainstorming

Trish G. led us through some Academy brainstorming.

Academy Initiative

Recapped Academy Initiative as part of our recap of initiatives.

  • Educational component of Gangplank. Lots of overlap with other Initiatives.
  • Main activity: Brownbags. Jenny from HS is leading it. Needs more help scheduling and training.
  • Secondary: Academy… single and series type long-format learning. IE: Summer of Photography Series.
  • Academy Init Leader/Team: Trish & Jenny.
  • Promotion: needs advanced planning. Some great Brownbags recently, including Local Motors (today) and Jeremie Lederman’s (last week), but no .

Twestival Update

Chris L is reminding us of the Phoenix Twestival. Bunch of awesome drink and food vendors, including Pittsburg Willies. $20 ticket. 10/15, 1 week from Tuesday. Hit up Dragon.

Facilities Update

  • Red Bull Machine: is back. $1.50 per can, thanks to a donation from Ben H. to subsidize costs. Enjoy!
  • Water Cooler: is installed. In place in back.
  • Chandler Community Meeting Notes

    As part of our growing efforts to share our activities publicly, here are meeting notes from our weekly community meeting. (Transcribed by Jeremy S)

    Community Meeting Notes

    4PM 9/25/2013

    Facilities Discussion: Cooler/Drinking Water

    Water cooler is here. Its ready to be installed, just needs some basic plumbing. Timmus A is still lead. Ben H asked about location? Will be by bathroom, maybe need a sign. Brian L reminds us any excuse to get people to talk to us, the better. Will be done by this weekend.

    Facilities Discussion: Red Bull Machine

    Red Bull Machine. Machine will be stocked tomorrow. Price will be approximately $1.50 per, to cover costs.

    Facilities Discussion: Chairs

    Chairs. Jeremy S kicked off our meeting discussing chairs. First off we’ve been seeing conference room chairs running into the main space. While we maintain ourselves as an agile space, we have to maintain the functionality of our space, including ensuring rooms have chairs. In general, we do need more chairs for the coworking space. Shall we launch a “chair drive/fundraiser”? Trish G introduced the idea of colored chairs for hotdesks/seats. Want to be careful that people aren’t possessive of chairs!

    Facilities Initiative: Overview.

    This week’s Initiative Discussion of the week is Facilities Initiative. Jeremy S gave an overview of the current facilities initiative beyond what was already discussed.
    Facilities Ideas: Single Seat Phone Booth. Susan B. and Greg T suggest a phonebooth room or two.
    Facilities Ideas: Manifesto on the Wall. Need a volunteer for it!
    Pimp My Gangplank / Back Room Cleanup: We have an interior designer to plan our backrooms. Also will need to clean up 260.

    GP Jr Oct Event

    Need Machines that can be torn apart. Drop off tear-apart at Jeremie’s desk. He needs as much as we can!.

    Thanksgiving Potluck

    Need Organizer for Thanksgiving Potluck. Allie and Jenn volunteered to coordinate! Thank you guys.

    Post Event Report: ASU E-Ship Ecosystem

    Jeremy S talked about his collaboration with Vincent from GP Avondale evangelizing GPA & GPC. He explained how, not only was the opportunity useful to the audience, but he learned a lot too. In general, the conversation moved to GP evangelism being fun, educational, and worthwhile to participate in. We need to share these more and get more involvement.

    T-Shirts/GP Marketing

    Lets make some t-shirts… more promotion!!! We need them! History has Stephanie coordinating but cost was prohibitive. Lederman will lead up effort to get shirts in the space!

    End: 4:35PM