Advocate for Passenger Rail

Arizona PIRG has been telling ADOT what they need to consider while studying passenger rail, such as putting the rail line along the route with the highest ridership potential and building stations in places where passengers have good access to public transit. Now it’s your turn to give ADOT your opinion.

Will you please send your thoughts about passenger rail connecting Phoenix and Tucson to the Arizona Department of Transportation?

By 2050, the drive between Phoenix and Tucson is expected to take more than five hours, even if we expand the I-10 to five lanes the entire way. As Arizona continues to grow, our infrastructure needs will continue to expand as well.

Tell ADOT today how important it is for Arizona to have passenger rail and what you think it should look like—just a few quick sentences is fine if you’re strapped for time.

‘Bots High’ Free Screening

botsHighASU 5 234x300 Bots High Free ScreeningBots High is an exciting documentary following the adventures of three high school robotics teams battling for first place at the national robotics competition in Miami, Florida. It’s a no-holds-barred fight to the death with robot carnage everywhere you look.

The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is hosting this free screening as a part of the world wide screening event on Thursday, October 6th at 6:30pm. The screening is at MADCAP Theaters, located in Downtown Tempe. Be sure to reserve your free tickets!

Downtown Chandler Community Garden

We have been working with the City of Chandler, Chandler Christian Community Center and Harvest for Humanity for the last six months to get a garden situated in Downtown Chandler. The vision was a garden for the community with the surplus going to feed the homeless at Chandler Christian Community Center. We are proud to say that they broke ground this last week!

Many people ask “What is a community garden?” and what are the benefits?

Here are some of the benefits.

• Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
  • Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
  • Stimulates Social Interaction
  • Encourages Self-Reliance
  • Beautifies Neighborhoods
  • Produces Nutritious Food
  • Reduces Family Food Budgets
  • Conserves Resources
  • Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
  • Reduces Crime
  • Preserves Green Space
  • Creates income opportunities and economic development
  • Reduces city heat from streets and parking lots
  • Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections

If you want to find out more about community gardening happening at Gangplank, check out our Community Garden Forum. If you want to do some innovating gardening, check out the Garden Pool Story.

Chandler Project Receives International Downtown Association Award

One of the reasons Gangplank moved to downtown Chandler was the city’s commitment to improving walkability with an emphasis on building up[1]. The approval of the widening of Arizona Avenue for pedestrians was critical in our decision to move[2]. The International Downtown Association (IDA) is giving Chandler an award for public space improvement enhancing urban design, physical function and economic viability. It is great to see the IDA agrees Chandler is making a move in the right direction.

“Each year the IDA Awards Jury recognizes organizations that utilize best practices in our industry,” said David Downey, IDA President and CEO. “The South Arizona Avenue Improvements are a shining example of excellent downtown management that delivers real results[3].”

The Arizona Chapter of the American Public Works Association selected this project as “Project of the Year” and it is a finalist in the Valley Forward Association’s Environmental Excellence Awards. The project received the Build Arizona Award from the Arizona Chapter of the Associated General Contractors for municipal/utilities construction projects costing under $10 million (awarded in February) and the General Design Award from the Arizona Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (awarded in March).

[1] Gangplank Looking To Move Downtown
[2] Update on Gangplank Move
[3] Constructing Chandler’s Downtown Creative Class

Legos, Guitars and Handlebars

legos 15 300x223 Legos, Guitars and HandlebarsCome join us this weekend at Mesa Arts Center’s Guitars and Handlebars Season Kickoff Festival. Along with all of the great activities and live music, Gangplank Jr and Building Bonanza will be there hosting Lego events from 10am-4pm on Saturday and 10am-2pm on Sunday.

If you are already a part of the Gangplank Jr First Lego League, we will be unveiling this season’s mat and challenges.  From 10am-12pm on Saturday, we will assemble the boards for this year and discuss the various tactics we can use to achieve the missions. There will also be a Sumo bot challenge (2-4pm), a large master building session with Building Bonanza and a free robotics build to handle various challenges (12-2pm).

Sunday will start off with First Lego League information for this year’s challenges and a chasis build competition, followed by another master build session from the guys at Building Bonanza.

As if all of that wasn’t enough to excite you, a full size replica of a Harley Davidson will be built from Legos by certified Lego artist Nathan Sawaya over the course of the two days.  Don’t miss out on the family fun at this great event.

lego motorcycles Legos, Guitars and Handlebars

Become a KJZZ source

KJZZ, Phoenix’s NPR station, and its partner stations in the Fronteras regional news network want you to share your expertise and ideas! As part of a project called the Public Insight Network, KJZZ and Fronteras are recruiting as many and as wide a variety of people as possible to serve as sources.

fronteras Become a KJZZ sourceBecoming part of the network is easy–just fill out one or both of these forms about what stories in your community aren’t being covered and what you know more about than most people. This project creates new ways for listeners and community members to help guide public radio towards important stories that are being missed. It also helps journalists better cover less traditional or less widely understood subject matter.

We think that everyone’s an expert in something, and we want you to share your expertise. Become a source for KJZZ and Fronteras today!

CoFinder Event

Guest Post by Nick Labadie

Startups are all about the Team. Good ones have a chance, bad ones really don’t. We know building the right team can be difficult and takes getting to know a lot of people. Cofinder is a place where folks looking to build those teams can meet and talk. We will hand pick a panel of stars to give their insights and answer your questions about startup teams. This will also be a great place to learn about 24/7 resources for startups in the valley. Space is limited so register for free today!

Friday, Aug. 26th 2011 at 5:30pm, The Center 3rd floor, 21 E. 6th St. Tempe, AZ 85281

Presented by PinfoB.com (“pin-fob”) with hosted beer/wine bar

Pangean Orchestra Looking for Board Members

The Pangean Orchestra is pleased to announce that PangeanHi 300x124 Pangean Orchestra Looking for Board Membersthe ensemble is 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. With a mission “to create and sustain a professional global orchestra that promotes peace, raise awareness of traditional music and instruments of all cultures, and create innovative music through a truly unique combination of instruments,” the ensemble is looking for board members.

Within the past two years, the ensemble has performed at the Musical Instrument Museum, Phoenix Symphony Hall,196395 10150201886762534 178897032533 8850331 3671983 n 300x198 Pangean Orchestra Looking for Board Members Arizona International Festival, and worked with International Organizations such as Catholic Relief Charities and Welcome to America Project. The organization is looking for individuals from all backgrounds that have a passion for music as a tool breaking down boundaries.

For more information, contact Rose French.

Take Me Out to the Ballpark

Come join us on August 11th to cheer on the hometown Arizona Diamondbacks as they take on the Houston Astros.

The plan is to meet up at Dave’s Electric Brew in Tempe (College & 5th St) and take the light rail down to Chase Field.

To minimize out of pocket costs, once, we arrive at Chase Field we can stroll over to the box office and buy tickets for the bleachers – most likely in sections 140-142 (or wherever you’d prefer to watch the game.)

Here are the particulars:
Date: August 11th, 2011
What: Arizona Diamondback vs. Houston Astros
Where: Chase Field
First Pitch: 6:40 pm
Ticket Cost: $18.25 (including service fees for bleacher seats)

Pre-Game:
Meet: Dave’s Electric Brew
Where: 502 S College Ave / Tempe
When: 5:15 pm (or so)
What: Craft Beer & Pub Fare at Happy Hour Prices

Depart for the game:
About 6:00 (That should give everyone enough time to arrive at Chase Field, Purchase Tickets, Concessions and arrive in our seats pre-first pitch.)

Game Transportation: Light Rail Park & Ride

*Valley Metro provides a LINK shuttle from Arizona Ave & Chandler Blvd to the light rail. Click for LINK schedule

If you want are intent on going and want to buy tickets before gameday please visit The Arizona Diamondbacks Ticket Site.

In typical Gangplank fashion, this is an unorganized event so if anyone has any suggestions to make the night more enjoyable – let’s hear them. Bring the family and let’s all enjoy a Summer night at the Ballpark!

A Year in Review

My first year at Gangplank has felt like an eternity (in a good way). The sheer 28260 1245710997677 1676475423 498100 6142799 n 150x150 A Year in Reviewamount of work that has been done and progress that I’ve seen makes a year at Gangplank feel like ten anywhere else.

Working at Gangplank challenges me everyday. Mostly it’s small things, like learning the difference between various kinds of 8-feet bulbs to replace in the project rooms or what adaptor works with which laptop for a brownbag presentation. Sometimes 5788300334 3d50fd39ca b 150x150 A Year in Reviewthough, the challenges are things that scare me shitless, like organizing a Startup Weekend and 60-day incubation program, having never attended a Startup Weekend or started a company.

But the everyday struggles and common feelings of utter technical stupidity have tremendous payoff. I’ve helped build communities of strangers and seen them take on incredible projects, such as building a Gangplank (Tucson) or a company in 54-hours. 5600673063 f51676753f 300x168 A Year in ReviewI’ve watched government agencies come together in the common cause of supporting community. I’ve seen the direct impact of Gangplank on local business and experienced the gratitude of our work in promoting their efforts. And the free lunches from Anchors as an occasional thank you are nice too.

On the bad days when I feel like an utter failure, I have to remind myself that the people of Gangplank hold me to a higher standard than anywhere else. No matter what screwups I make, I’m still growing as a leader, as opposed to any other job where I’d just be taking a step back.

So how do I top year one?

Focus on the big picture
While the day-to-day aspects of my job have me focused on the minor details, I often get wrapped up and fail to think about the bigger vision. What we do here has lasting 5575632936 c7f6f5d403 199x300 A Year in Reviewimpact, beyond the next few meetings, weeks or miles. Instead of focusing on how to manage the next hour of programming, or weekend of activities, the focus is on what happens after that hour, beyond that weekend, and into the next five years.

Be aggressive, be be agressive
I’ve got the brass balls on my desk (thanks Mike) as a constant reminder that it’s my job to stand up for the Gangplank community – not just to the outside world, but internally. It means taking off the friend hat and having the hard conversations with regulars, Anchors and even the Gangplank co-founders, to make sure we don’t stray from our core values.

The Anchors had their shot at reviewing my work. How about you? How’s my driving?